Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Remembering MJ

One of my earliest memories is listening to the "Thriller" album on my parent's record player. I loved the album and begged my mom to rent the music video for me (this was way before my parents ever dreamed of getting cable). My mom finally relented and I couldn't even watch the video because it scared me. I had a reoccurring nightmare as a child where monsters were chasing me through my house and I'm pretty sure it was due to this video. Regardless, I loved listening and dancing to Micheal Jackson. I also remember hearing the "Off the Wall" and "Bad" albums for the first time at my grandparent's house. I'll chalk that up to having a teenage aunt in the 80's (thanks, Sharon!). My first experience with Weird Al Yankovic was recognizing that he was paroding "Bad" and "Beat It" and now I can thank Michael Jackson for my love for Weird Al. I was so excited when the "20th Anniversary Thriller" album came out. I ran out and bought it and reintroduced myself to my favorite MJ songs. I loved watching his epic music videos, especially "Remember the Time" and "Smooth Criminal". I've always been a Michael fan. I even own his latest album which I believe was his least popular.

I've been thinking about MJ a lot since I heard of his passing. I watched his memorial service today and couldn't believe how emotional I got. But then I got to thinking how much a part of my life Michael Jackson's music has been. I remember watching live concerts and seeing fans screaming and crying and thinking how great it would be to see him perform live. I never got that chance and although I had no plans to see his last tour I'm a little sad I couldn't see the King of Pop live. I chose to remember him through his music and I was sorry to hear of his early passing.

I'm glad I grew up with Michael Jackson's music in my life and even if I can't move like Michael, whenever I hear one of his songs I want to break out dancing. Thank you for your talent, you will be missed!

3 comments:

Heather J. said...

I am pretty sure we went to sleep with our bedroom light on a few nights after watching the Thriller video. lol. We were silly. I watched a few clips on the internet today. I saw his little girl say he was the best daddy ever. Talk about ripping a person's heart out! I think my love for MJ's music stem from yours so I can thank you or blame you for it. :)

Sheila C. said...

We will all have to admit He WAS TALENTED whether you loved him or not. Sorry to see him go to soon!

mommymelb said...

I watched it for a minute, but after I started crying I had to turn it off.

I am amazed at how this has affected me too...There's just so many MJ song memories...

I'm glad you like him too!