Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Check-Up

Chloe had her 1 year check up yesterday. It went a little like this:

Chloe weighed in at 18lbs 3 oz which is what she weighed last week (we are still getting weighed every week). This puts her in the 8th percentile.
Chloe is 27 inches long which puts her in the 4th percentile.
Chloe's head circumference is 44cm which puts her in the 20th percentile.



Our wonderful pediatrician was very pleased with Chloe's progress. She told me Chloe looked healthy and robust (bet most kids in the 8th percentile don't get told that!). She said her head looks great and that her helmet did its job. In fact, the doctor said this was the best she's ever seen her head.

We talked about placing the G-tube and I told the doctor we wanted to wait until the end of January to pursue it because Chloe started drinking from a cup last week! Yay! She doesn't drink much but she will do it so we are going to work really hard to get her taking her liquids from a cup so we don't have to switch to a G-tube. We can use the NG-tube (which is what we have now) until the end of January so we've got a little wiggle room and I am hoping she will just decide one day that drinking is fun and will be fed up with the tube (heaven knows I am!!!). On the flip side, Chloe loves to eat and is a really good eater so who knows why she can't/won't drink. She has the doctor and her occupational therapist totally stumped. Good thing I think it's funny that we can stump all these medical professionals, otherwise I would be stressed out about it!

Chloe is a little slower developmentally, about a month or so behind. Nothing major, she's just a late bloomer (just like her dad...love you Sean!). At first it worried me because Jillian was a quick developer but I've learned to relax a little bit. I know what you're thinking, "Holly relaxed?" It's ok, sometimes I impress myself too.

What else did we talk about? We take more time than we are allotted when we have a doctor's visit for Chloe so we were there an hour or more. We upped her overnights feeds so she's getting enough liquid. The doctor asked if Chloe laughs and smiles because she was so serious at her appointment. I think Chloe gets annoyed getting poked and prodded. She knows doctor's offices aren't the place to laugh! Oh, and the poor thing had to get 5 shots so she was grouchy yesterday and again today. I guess I'd be grouchy too if I got poked 5 times.

Chloe has come a long way in a year. She still has some work to do before we're in the clear so wish us luck and send lots of prayers our way. We'll need them! Probably me more than Chloe, she's one tough cookie!

3 comments:

Heather J. said...

Exciting appointment! Chloe is a trooper. I guess this means you will for sure come to Washington for Christmas. I don't even remember when Porter was 18 pounds. Long ago... :)

Sheila C. said...

I am glad that things are working out sometimes it feels like forever but "this to shall pass"

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you guys!!! Got to hug those girls.

love, MOM