Saturday, December 15, 2007

Grandma Spatig's Pinwheels

I was supposed to make my favorite Christmas treat for a get together. I had watched my mom make these and probably helped her out at some point so I figured, "No problem, I can handle this." Well, the chocolate chips are supposed to melt nicely on top of the puffed rice after being in the oven for a few minutes. Mine didn't. The chocolate sunk right on into the creation and the edges of the puffed rice burned (I cut out some in the middle to taste it, and it was not good like it was supposed to be). So I called my mom in a panic because I followed the recipe perfectly and it was her grandmother's recipe. She wasn't home so I told my brother to have her call me back as soon as possible. She called back in just a minute or two and asked if I had gone into labor! Oops, I forgot you can't call your mom in a panic at nine months pregnant or she's going to think you're having a baby! Anyway, I assured her it was only a kitchen emergency and we figured out what had happened. Apparently my oven cooks a little hot. Luckily I had bought enough ingredients to make two batches (just in case I botched the first) so we went for take two and they turned out looking like this (which, by the way is what they are supposed to look like). And they're tasty too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing my head off. You crack me up. Heather

Sam said...

that is halarious Holly... I can so picture your Mom freaking out when she heard that you called all panicked!!!

Oh, and you should so post that recipie, they look good! =o)

mommymelb said...

I want the recipe too! That looks really, really good.

And yes, very funny story!